Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Offered to bribe

It’s been a while there have been talks of reforms in different government offices; the Foreign, Interior and other ministries, the police, the passport department, etc. But despite all the efforts to show the changes positive and fruitful, people’s faith in the reforms, as the commissions assigned for them were proved infected by the virus and needed to be reformed themselves, is melting and melting.


I had been able to elude myself from confronting government bodies and their tortuous bureaucracy well. But that’s not always possible to achieve. So, head tilted, shoulders drooped, eyes begging for forgiveness, but still I wore an obviously fake facial confidence and walked into the Interior Ministry yesterday.


The veins on the forehead of the manager were not formed yet. That could be a good sign, but probably he was new at the post or the frown was on its way, I thought. But I saw, with patience the clients were treated. “No dear, that’s not the right office”, “Yes, you shall come tomorrow. I will do my best to get it done even today” were sentences that would dream of before, but I heard. Even more surprising was when he would note down the phone numbers to call us and inform when we could get back to collect our documents. Now wait a minute, has the chap actually fallen from sky, or there is something wrong? There must be!


In the evening, just about when I was arguing with my self in favour of the reforms, I received a call from the official, and wondered if he wanted me to fetch my documents at 8 pm!

“I have passed your documents through different offices there, because I knew the paperwork would exacerbate you.” I would thank him, but let him finish. “And the procedure left for tomorrow is a headache. And tomorrow when everything is prepared, I will call you”. That’s great, but he was sounding weird. “At the end, in return, I would appreciate your moral consideration!”, finally he ventured to say. The bell rang and there came the explanation!

No comments: